Friday, February 2, 2018 · 33 Comments

Elisha Goldstein, PhD is joined by 6 members of the faculty from A Course in Mindful Living in a Live Panel conversation on Mindfulness and Meditation: Overcoming Personal Barriers and the Secrets to a Self-Sustaining Practice.

In this panel they cover:

• • Practical tips for creating a self-sustaining meditation practice
  • • How regular practice helps in combating sleep disorders
  • • Using meditation to manage anxiety and/or negative thinking
  • • The connection between meditation, happiness, and well-being

Everyone is welcome to benefit from this, so if you know someone who would be interested, please share this link: http://elishagoldstein.com/mindfulness-meditation-overcoming-barriers-to-practice.

1. Andrew Lauckner
    February 9, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Thank you Elisha, and other Panelists for hosting this. Very helpful.

2. Charlie McCurdy
    February 9, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Hi wonderful panel, any thoughts on the utility of group practice or the power of community? For example, some apps facilitate ‘thank you for meditating with me’ type messaging. Is this just something that appeals to extraverts or is there research that shows the power of co-meditation or shared practice?

3. February 9, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Greetings all! I would like to add a mindfulness component to our health and wellness platform at 95210.org. Will enjoy listening to your discussion.

Kind regards, James

• February 9, 2018 at 12:36 pm

“Be kind to yourself”, good point during discussion 😉

4. Melissa
    February 9, 2018 at 8:19 am

My newly established mindfulness is going well in so many aspects of my life (relationships, anxiety, reduced alcohol consumption, increased exercise, employment, etc.) but comes to a grinding halt several times a week and is replaced with an anxiety attack and emotional upheaval when my mother contacts me via text, email or phone from her home in another state. She’s a life-long narcissist and absolutely not a mothering figure in any way. I’ve successfully distanced myself from her & our relationship over 30 yrs. All of my great mindfulness experiences are ‘destroyed’ for hours or days each time she reaches out. Then I drag others down with me. Suggestions on over-coming this, please.

5. Andrew Lauckner
    February 7, 2018 at 10:32 am

Elisha, I am curious if there is such a thing as too much mindfulness. Also, my counselor and I discussed a book that uses the ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) approach for my mental well being. I also have four other books including your book, Uncovering Happiness, a book titled Unstuck by James Gordon M.D., a book titled The Mindful Way though Depression by Segal, Williams, Teasdale, and Kabat-Zinn, and a book titled Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I suffer from Major Depression and possibly two other disorders, life is often overwhelming for me and challenging to make decisions. Even therapy with my counselor, my inconsistent meditation practice and trying to focus is challenging. I love your book although I find it challenging to read and engage in. Thank you for taking a few moments to read my comment. May you, too, be happy, safe, healthy and free. Take care.

Kindly,
    Andrew Lauckner in Montana

6. Peter Butler
    February 5, 2018 at 10:51 pm

How to combat sleepiness and fatigue while Practicing?

Sometimes, identification with thought and emotions creates an internal engagement that energizes my brain. But identification is what we are trying to avoid. Being on auto pilot seems to be necessary for the energy to practice. This situation has always puzzled me.

Sometimes the best things happen to me when I am not “mindful”. Energy and spontaneity occur. What place does letting things happen of their own accord have versus deliberate choice of response? Sometimes my attempts to be mindful seem to come at the cost of denying some valid need. Eventually I rebel and stop practicing, at least for a little while. Something gets regenerated my ability to practice returns.

This pendulum swings back and forth And it is a bit of a war. Any remarks Or suggestions?

• Andrew Lauckner
      February 7, 2018 at 10:35 am

P. S. I look forward to watching your panel discussion in a couple days. Thank you for hosting it.

Kindly,
      Andrew Lauckner in Montana

7. rhonda pawlan
    February 5, 2018 at 6:36 pm

How can I enter the meditation going on now?

February 6, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Hi Rhonda, these drop-in live group meditations are only for A Course in Mindful Living participants. You are in the course, so just go to the Lesson titled “Drop in Live Group Meditations” and the information will be there :).

8. Ewa
    February 4, 2018 at 12:51 am

My question is what of the best meditation strategy when not being able to fall asleep or during a sleepless night? It seems to me that meditating during the night makes me more alert? Thank you for you suggestions. Ewa

9. Sally Sporer
    February 3, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Thank you Elisha for offering this great panel discussion! I’m looking forward to it!

10. Cherie Lemire
    February 3, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Will there please be opportunity to listen to an audio of this if you missed the live stream??

February 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm