1. Vicki
    March 30, 2015 at 10:49 am

Today is my 21st day. I will miss the early morning reminders and practices!

The idea of what a purpose filled life means has changed for me during these 3 short weeks. I have come to see purpose as internally driven rather than being determined by my own or others’ expectations. The idea of purpose is also now free from guilt and pressure to “make a meaningful” life. It is more open, more simple, and also much more nurturing.

Thank you.

March 31, 2015 at 9:47 am

Thank you Vicki, for participating and sharing your experiences. I am glad to hear the positive effects and hope you will continue the practice.

2. Sandra R.
    March 29, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Where I live there are lots of homeless people around. After the 21 days of giving $1 to every homeless person I pass on the street, I’m looking at them differently. I see them and I really care about them. I’d love to see a big homeless shelter right on Pennsylvanie Avenue, with counselors and with everything everyone and every family who are homeless needs, etc. In the meantime I’ll do what I can and realize that something bigger than ourselves is happening right now socially and even spiritually for us.

March 30, 2015 at 9:35 am

It feels amazing when our actions build connection and provide inspiration!

3. RITA
    March 27, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Today I turned compassion toward myself. I scheduled an appt. with the dr. to address my current health issues that are triggered by the stress of my mother’s failing health and advanced age. My dr. was compassionate toward me and knows just what to do to make me feel better. Also, I am no longer beating myself up for needing medical attention. I am not superwoman and I do need self compassion. I am becoming more open in showing my real self and working on loving and accepting all of myself.

March 30, 2015 at 9:32 am

It’s a wonderful thing when our compassion includes ourselves!

4. RITA
    March 26, 2015 at 8:04 am

Day 2 – Compassion for the environment – Today I will take the recycling to the center and clean up clutter around the house that has been accumulating.

5. RITA
    March 26, 2015 at 7:55 am

Yesterday I went to visit my mother and the elderly at the assisted living home as my action step to bring compassion to the world. However, prior to that I went to teacher placement day where schools recruit for teachers. I have recently completed my degree and I feel called to enter the teaching profession. The recruiting went extremely well. I wasn’t nervous or awkward. I felt confident and outgoing. Later in the day, I met with a friend and her and I prayed together for our mothers who are both not well. We then enjoyed one another’s company and encouraged one another. When I came home last night, my son asked why I was so happy?
    I said to him, wouldn’t it be great if this is how I am going to be from now on? Happy!
    Day 1 – Success

March 26, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Wonderful!!!!

6. Erik A
    March 26, 2015 at 7:43 am

I already work for a non-profit acedemic instituion, so it would be nice to focus on that which I am already compensated and engaged with. However, I have concluded that my purpose right now will be to encourage myself to move towards artistic expression and creativity through mindfullness and metta meditation practice. Expressing a gratitude and compassion for living things is something I know I have and can believe and feel. I find that far too often that awareness is blocked, covered, dumped and replaced with judgement and expectation. By allowing myself some intentional time to clear the barriers and make space for that awareness, I am offering a fertile ground for compassion and gratitude to take root and accpet my offering of sustaining energy.

March 27, 2015 at 7:21 am

Beautiful!

7. RITA
    March 25, 2015 at 10:59 am

MY PROSOCIAL PURPOSE IS COMPASSION. THE ACTION THAT I AM TAKING TODAY IS TO VISIT MY MOTHER AND OTHER ELDERLY AT THE ASSISTED LIVING RESIDENCE. THIS ACTION IS IN SERVICE OF CREATING A SOCIETY THAT VALUES ALL STAGES OF LIFE AND IN TREATING ALL PERSONS WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT.

March 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Compassion for others, especially the elderly feels so vital both on a personal and societal level.

8. Lorna
    March 25, 2015 at 2:12 am

Day 5

Thank you for replying to my posts – checking in today, and reading your replies replies brought me courage.

These past few days I have had more of a sense of open heartedness toward a person in my family I have felt wounded by and consequently have been guarded around and against. This has been a painful disconnect between what I value, what I imagined my life would look like, what I have experienced one important area of that life to be right now, and what I have inadvertently contributed toward producing. Open heartedness is more in line with who and what I aspire to be. So that feels like a positive step.

Today.

My pro social purpose: healing, hope, connection, encouragement and peace through tangible acts of kindness.

My actions: taking some time to listen to, and care for, my heart, sharing the gifts and graces of the day with my cousin in our shared gratitude journal, writing another section of my thesis, cooking for my family and making our home a welcoming peaceful space, connecting with friends who are facing challenges to share an encouraging word.

Higher purpose: to live in right relationship – to restore a sense of right relationship in my corner of the world.

Wishing everyone in this virtual community moments of peace and connection today.

March 25, 2015 at 1:50 pm

We can build internal harmony when our interactions with others align with our core values, like being open hearted.
      Your purpose and action lists sound very rewarding!

9. Vee
    March 24, 2015 at 2:42 am

Since starting this process (kindness has been my pro-social purpose) I’ve noticed an openness towards others and this has given me a real felt-sense of connectedness. What’s interesting is that in the last 2 days 2 people who I’d not connected with for quite a while (one whose number I’d lost) have contacted me. Coincidence? Maybe. Positive? Definitely.

March 24, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Feeling more open to others really can foster that real felt sense of connectedness in a profound way. It is a pretty interesting coincidence that just as you’re feeling more open opportunities arise to reconnect with people!

10. Olivia
    March 23, 2015 at 9:15 am

I donated many toy sets, books, crayons, coloring books, figurines, workbooks and sticker books that my daughter has outgrown and I donated it all to a local non-profit in a poverty-stricken area that trains young single moms on job skills. They have a daycare that babysits kids, and so I know the kids would really enjoy these donated items that my daughter had fun with! 🙂

March 24, 2015 at 2:55 pm

What a great feeling, knowing that items that once brought your daughter such joy and can now bring joy to children who can really benefit from them!

Post a Reply to Tara