1. Patricia P
    March 15, 2015 at 7:10 am

This is Day 1 for me and I didn’t have to contemplate the question on purpose for very long….the answer arose spontaneously. I have decided to give more space to everyone I come into contact with…to listen more deeply to another and see if its possible to resist the urge to respond or feedback to soon. I have noticed lately how when in contact, I am sometimes so eager to speak and share my thoughts that I wonder how present I really am. I may think I am and I may think I am hearing what is said but I am going to see if I can bring more space to being in contact and see what happens as I hold this intention for listening more deeply.

• March 15, 2015 at 10:15 am

Hi Patricia,
      I, too, chose listening mindfully as my practice for 21 days. This is day 7 for me, and I continue to struggle with my desire to change outcome instead of just letting it be. Instead of listening, I am reacting to things I don’t want to hear, for whatever reason. I wish us both well on this journey.

2. Nancy
    March 14, 2015 at 6:15 am

I just found out on Thursday that I am losing my job because the company I work for decided to outsource what I do. I am taking it as a positive event in my life that will keep leading me closer to my true purpose. I refuse to act out of fear. I think it’s interesting that while I’m doing this 21 day exercise that this event occurred in my life. It gives me more resolve to stay strong and secure in myself.

• March 14, 2015 at 8:28 am

Nancy, I wish you well on your journey. As someone who has often been sidelined by fear, I admire your resolve and look forward to hearing what you decide to do next.

• Donna
      March 14, 2015 at 8:57 am

Good for you Nancy. I wish you all the best as your live evolves as you choose fearlessness and love.

3. Elisha Goldstein
    March 13, 2015 at 4:27 pm

In doing 21 days of purpose, I’ve noticed lately that I’m simply more inclined to connect with people and this planet. I am more inclined to pick up trash on the street or in a park and to give my attention to people. Imagine what the world would be like if thousands and thousands of people were more intentionally inclined in this direction.

This is a real possibility and it starts with us!

Stay committed and connected as you go.

Warmly,

4. March 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Day 5. I woke up with a head cold today, and ended up spending most of the day with my hand on my heart. Thanks, Elisha, for this simple little reminder of self-compassion. I went all winter without getting sick, and just entertaining the idea of letting my light shine made me physically sick. It gets curiousier and curiouser….

• Kathy B.
      March 14, 2015 at 9:23 am

I just wanted to say that I hope your cold gets better soon and that you are feeling a little better every day! Sending you healing wishes!

5. Vee
    March 13, 2015 at 9:55 am

My purpose is kindness and yesterday I had the most amazing thing happen to me. I was going out with my dog and had bags, keys, gloves and dog on lead and as I unlocked the back of my car to put the dog in a vehicle drove up and a woman wound down her window and said, ‘I think you’ve dropped something back there’. Sure enough when I looked around there was one of my gloves on the ground. This person must have spotted my glove escaping while they were way up the street and yet they took the time to stop and let me know. How kind is that? I felt so blessed that my focus on kindness seemed to attract kind people into my life and since then I’ve gone around with a beam on my face and have felt very positive.

March 13, 2015 at 4:16 pm

• Donna
      March 14, 2015 at 9:00 am

This is awesome because where I live you can not find a pair of gloves in a store now!

6. Vicki
    March 12, 2015 at 3:51 pm

And I also wanted to say, that thinking of an intention as purpose makes my heart sing.

7. Vicki
    March 12, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Day 3 – Actions in support of my pro social purpose are difficult to pin down. For actions, I have come up with the ideas of maintaining true presence with all encountered and getting rid of the things that get in the way of love flowing. These come across as an intention as there is not a list of steps.

However, this intention in itself has been quite valuable these last couple days. I have felt an expansive shift in awareness and a relaxation with others. There is more room, more space (yet another intangible).

8. March 12, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Yesterday I was looking forward to an endless amount of amusement, since I am (sometimes) blessed with the ability to laugh at myself. Today I am hurting.

It started yesterday with the idea that I would try to crack one of the NUTs (negative unconscious thoughts) that plague me while I was feeling happy and confident. I chose this one: “I am helpless,” and worked through all the steps. What would my life be like if I no longer held this thought/belief?

It would be awesome. My energy would soar. I could do so many things if I didn’t feel helpless/hopeless. I would be this strong, competent 62-year-old woman perfectly capable of writing the story I have been trying to create for almost 30 years about a character named Louise who writes a blog and comes from the Pearl branch of the Deaver family that “crossed over” from colored to white. (By the way, I’m not sure why that picture of me in 8th grade popped up when I started communicating on this website, but I am reluctant to change it now, since it distinguishes me from the other Angela in this community who is also planning to volunteer with hospice. I’m the one with the funny picture.)

I sure cracked the “helpless” NUT! Unfortunately, what I found inside was another much bigger NUT: Just who do you think you are?

Last night I had a terrible time going to sleep. I can’t remember how many times I had to keep coming back to my breath before I finally drifted off. This morning I woke up with a cloud behind my eyes, my head hurt, and I was so tired, I just wanted to stay under the covers.

I finally got up and read today’s reflection (Day 4) from Nelson Mandela/Marianne Williamson, “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.”

Not sure how I am going to crack this one, but I know it needs to be cracked if I’m ever going to get that story written. Maybe tomorrow I’ll give it a try. I’m too tired today.

March 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Yes, rest Angela… you did quite a bit of work there.

It may be worthwhile to play with the “encouraging your positive thoughts” exercise too in Uncovering Happiness. Self-compassion as a practice is necessary here too.

Warmly,

9. March 12, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hello All,
    I am beginning a little late, but nevertheless I am here! My Day 1 answers are the this: 1) I want to create something that adds value to every person on this planet, for years to come. 2) Keep reading my books that explain how to do this. Spend 20 minutes a day or more reading and gaining more knowledge. 3) I want to transform the way people eat and cook and understand our foods and make it engaging and desirable to learn and know. I want to eliminate homelessness and hunger in our world forevermore.

10. Donna
    March 12, 2015 at 8:15 am

It’s been an interesting week. I’ve had lots of ocassion to stop and observe my thoughts and to check and see if they (and my behaviours) are in line with my prosocial purpose of respect for others and respect for myself. Lots of practice 🙂 I had an opportunity last night to meet with a group of people who are interested in bringing Integrative Health modalities into our place of employment which is a health care setting. There were lots of amazing people there on varied paths. It was interesting as we went around the room and introduced ourselves, it was basically Hi my name is __________ and I have a masters, or PhD in ___________. This set off all sort of buttons for me. Though I’ve been in a health care profession for 35 years, I have only an associate’s degree. This was obtained shortly before I got married and started a family. At the time I got my associate’s degree, several classmates had already gotten 4 yr degrees but couldn’t find jobs or didn’t like their jobs. I felt fortunate to stumble onto a career and degree program that got me a job right away. I felt like I’d been saved from wasting 4 yrs and all that money. I’d always intended to go back to school but I couldn’t find a way to make it work that would be of benefit to my family as well. I felt that my presence at home was more worthwhile than a degreed mom. I did work the majority of child rearing years. It did not proclude me from being a student of personal development. I’ve been a student of life since birth and one of my happiest moments was when I read The Erroneous Zones and discovered this whole :”universe” of study. I digress. Let me just say that there have been many hours of study and much money spent on books, seminiars, etc, Today, I find myself at the age of 58 struggling with the quadarry of what to do about my lack of “degreed” credentials. I’m currently in a health coach training program that I’m loving. And I find myself in the same position, many classmates with the extensive alphabets after their names, here at the same junction, wanted to become health coaches. I’m not bashing or taking away the importance of degrees. For those of you who have them, I know it’s taken years, sweat, tears and maybe even some blood. I feel confident I can say I know because my eldest daughter just recently got her PhD. For me, today, I’m stating that I’ve put to very practical use my life study and various roles and give myself the credentials of HB, MBA. (Human BEing, Miindfulness Based Acheivement). And I commit to 100% daily practice. ~Blessings of Wellbing to All.

Post a Reply to Jim