1. Jennifer Schmidt
    September 17, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I think I’m having trouble with the self-less part; that’s how I normally am–putting others first–and part of what I’m trying to change. I’ll always be a giver but I’ll give until it breaks me (and is has). Is it wrong to refocus this on what’s hardest for me–treating myself the way I treat others? I don’t want to be a doormat anymore

September 27, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hi Jennifer,

As a caregiver, I think it’s important turn this around to you… practicing self-compassion. Please look to the Nourishing Breath Meditation for this. I have this in A Course in Mindful Living – but there is a 10-minute version of it here – https://soundcloud.com/user-640851605/nourishing-breath-meditation-10-minutes Warmly, Elisha

2. Christine Bashford
    August 14, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Day 1:
    Pro social purpose: communicate with others
    Action. Instigate communication. Pick up the phone
    Action in service: touch someone else’s life

3. Cynthia
    July 12, 2017 at 7:03 am

My prosocial purpose is to be present for others. The action I can take is to give others attention, make eye contact and listen with attentiveness. The action in service that is greater than myself is giving others the space to be themselves and feel like they matter.

4. m
    July 1, 2017 at 8:29 am

What prosocial purpose am I focusing on?
    Donate items

What action can I take today that is in line with this purpose?
    give my time and things to donate

What is this action in service of that is greater than myself?
    kindness..giving back

5. m
    June 30, 2017 at 8:37 am

What pro-social purpose are you involved in?
    I am showing more loving kindness to myself and others. I am being more patient with my teenagers.

What action can I take today that is in line with this purpose?
    I step away from heated arguments and anger showed by others. I am learning to be more calm.

What is this action in service of that is greater than myself?
    I am teaching my kids it’s ok to feel anger, but we need not over-react to it.

6. Tammie
    June 4, 2017 at 8:04 am

Where does altruism show up in my life? In what ways do I give back?
    I am working on my lack of confidence and stress and getting my health back to start giving back into helping others outside my family. I woke up shaky this morning from stress. Using mindfulness to help reduce stress.
    I am teaching my son living at home to do things for himself, being patient when he has to try things more than once.
    Donating items to Big Brothers and Sisters
    Working on making other happy, making quilts and other crafts to give to others.
    Working with children programs in my church.
    Help prepare for art show in community.

7. Tammie
    June 3, 2017 at 4:44 pm

What pro social purpose are you focusing on? My husband passed away 3 years ago. I am now the single parent of 2 adult children with Autism. The oldest one is high functioning and living at home. My goal is to teach him to be as independent as possible and get him the services he will need for the future. My younger son is severely Autistic, non-verbal and has aggressive behaviors. He lives in a human development center. Also need to see his needs are looked after in the future.
    I also work on helping others and spreading the word of the Lord. I have been on missionary trips to help people in other countries (8 day trips). One of the big things we do is bring school supplies for the kids, spend time with children in an orphanage.
    Have worked as part of disaster relief cooking team. These are hard to do right now, because it is hard to leave son alone at home.
    I have also been part of a lot of actives through my church that I can do locally for spreading the word of the Lord and children.

What action can I take today that is in line with this purpose?
    It has been stressful learning how to do everything two people use to do. I feel through Mindfulness I am finally making some headway past that. I want to start going to church again and getting involved in actives that I can do in this area spreading the word of the Lord and working with children.
    I can continue to teach son at home to become more independent. Maybe as he gets older I can start mission trips again.
    I am working on legal things for the boys future.

What is this action in service in of that is greater than myself?
    The biggest thing is spreading the word of the Lord and helping others.
    Setting up the future of two adult children with Autism is taking a lot of work.

8. landon hall
    April 11, 2017 at 11:12 am

What pro-social purpose are you involved in?
    Joining the movement to protect and guard the foundational tenets of a democracy.
    What action can I take today that is in line with this purpose?
    Getting involved locally helping with immigrants who are feeling great anxiety about their lives right now. Joining a group that assists in advocacy for immigrants and also offers time to give people rides, show up as witnesses when they or their families are threatened, and to offer support like gift certificates for groceries, clothing, other needs.
    What is this action in service of that is greater than myself?
    This action lends a compassionate presence and practical help for populations more vulnerable than myself.

• landon hall
      April 13, 2017 at 8:18 am

a solo conversation, but that’s OK!

am sorting through priorities regarding pro-social activities … contemplating several paths … supporting local immigrant and ACLU chapters in my area. Also, very interested in supporting TRUTH IN JOURNALISM and CENTER FOR INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM, in support of the view that Democracies cannot exist in darkness.

COntribution to others at this point is going to local meetings and showing up for actions around the above mentioned themes. Also, talking, debating, sharing ideas with and simply practicing listening with the aim of others needs and emotions, even if that just boils down to simple kindness of a sincere smile in a moment of interaction …

Limiting views of mine most particularly those that tell me my efforts are too miniscule, or my feelings of overwhelm or petty anxieties, will prevent me from being of much help towards these larger calls and causes in our USA society in spring 2017.

TO be continued …

9. landon hall
    April 11, 2017 at 11:06 am

Being kind to others and myself as I explore the moments and days of my life … will be more specific in these postings as time moves on …

Thank you for creating and offering this terrific program.

10. Cathleen
    April 4, 2017 at 7:40 am

The pro social purpose I am focusing on is to help homeless animals find homes. I have signed up to volunteer at a local shelter and will take “glamour shots” of pets then post on social media with hashtag #ShelterPetPR This is greater than myself because it is greater compassion for all living things- Enjoy your journey!

Post a Reply to david Scoffield