1. Donna
    March 7, 2015 at 11:56 am

This is Day 3 for me and my pro social commitment is respect for others. I’m in the thick of sadness and disappointment regarding my relationship with my 30 yr old daughter. IT’s a balancing act between respect for myself and respect for her. I want a real, authentic relationship with her and to feel safe emotionally. How do you set up healthy boundaries without falling into indifference because the pain hurts so much? Practicing lots of self compassion and surrounding myself with people I can feel emotionally safe with. Trusting that we will find a way to be integrity with ourselves and each other.

• carol
      March 8, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Donna,
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts….I have a 26 year old son that is struggling, and I am working extremely hard to love and respect him.
      I hope that you found the care and trust you need. I also hope that your daughter finds want she is searching for.
      I will keep you in my thoughts

Carol

• Lorna
      March 25, 2015 at 7:25 am

Donna,

A disconnect between a mother and her child is a very painful wound – one that goes deep and wide. May you find a way through this troubling season – and on the journey toward wholeness and healing may you access grace and peace and joy.

2. Gary
    March 7, 2015 at 9:27 am

I’m on Day 4, which suggests I tap into my inner generosity. By sheer coincidence (or synchronicity), today is the annual day that my meditation group gets together, makes burritos and distributes them to homeless people. I was already scheduled to participate in this event. Today. And now I read my emails this morning, once of which contains the suggestions for Day 4. The burrito event already fulfills all three of the questions in the email. Quite awesome. I tend to act in service to synchronicities — in some strange way it’s part of my creativity (one of the top five values I wrote down in the book) — so just sitting here writing this uncovers a little flake of happiness.
    Thanks!
    gary

3. Joanie
    March 7, 2015 at 8:57 am

I am on Day 3 and am so glad for this practice. It reminds me to take it slowly, one act at a time, one kind thought at a time and to remember we are all in this together. My goal is to practice compassion at my no-nonsense workplace, with my outer acquaintances, my family, and with myself. I heard something about another co-worker yesterday and stopped from blurting my first unkind thought because I was interrupted with the thought “just like me.”

March 7, 2015 at 10:47 am

4. Christian
    March 7, 2015 at 6:26 am

This is day 2.5 – and I am thankful for the reminder. With an extremely busy life, as a single dad raising my kids alone, working from my home office, as well as working closely with my children’s schools on their extensive IEPs, things you intend to do, slip away too quickly, and are lost. I, too, have been lost. My prosocial commitment is overall compassion; not just for those around me, but also for myself. I’ve isolated myself due to my responsibilities, made excuses for not “being out there” and have interestingly enough become antisocial, which is odd for someone so extroverted as I have always been. Its been suggested that I find groups with similar interests, but I think I’ll also seek social groups, whose intention it is to help others out of their caves, too. By instilling a more compassionate, empathetic outlook, I can again be the positive role model my children need and deserve. I read The Now Effect and your STOP method has had a profound effect on my life, especially in my meditation. Thank you for all you’ve done for me already, and all I can only imagine this 21 day process will do for me and my children.

March 7, 2015 at 7:20 am

Welcome Christian!

5. Jane
    March 7, 2015 at 5:07 am

I am a Licensed Counselor and am so happy to be able to share this info with clients. I feel in my sessions, I am present and compassionate , however with my family, I can be so task oriented and rushed, that I am not listening as deeply and I’m not as present and compassionate as I could be. My focus for these 21 days is to take the qualities I have in my office out to my family and those I meet in the post office, grocery store, etc.,etc.
    Thanks for the reminder

6. Kathie
    March 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Hi Elisha,
    I took your e-course on Mindfulness Meditation and am still returning to your book The Now Effect. I am currently taking your e-course “21 Days of Purpose” and reading your book Uncovering Happiness. I wanted to share an experience with you. I drive 2 hours round trip on the highway and have often found myself driving too fast and aggressively, filled with anger and hostility towards other drivers. Today, as I drove calmly and reasonably, I began to consider those in other cars as people too, and found the phrase “Just Like Me” from the Now Effect coming to mind. I repeated the phrase to myself each time I felt hostile or aggressive or judgmental. I was able to feel compassion for myself and for others who were after all Just Like Me.

March 6, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Truly amazing what compassion can do. Play with this over the next 21 days and keep checking in.

7. Nancy
    March 6, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Respect and kindness for myself and others are the foundation of my pro-social purpose. By being respectful and kind, I am creating the kind of world I want to live in instead of abiding by today’s societal norms . I think living in a more kind and respectful way will also help me to better understand and connect with my teenage son, who has psychosis and is on the mild end of the autism spectrum.

8. Kari
    March 6, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Having taken early retirement from my longtime job in nonprofit communications, the 21Days of Purpose come at a good time of reflection for me.
    These are the points I am focusing on:
    the people closest to me,
    their deepest needs and how I can help,
    awareness of and openness to God’s prompts in directing my path for His purpose

March 6, 2015 at 9:31 pm

This is wonderful Kari, keep checking in here letting us know what you notice as you go. Warmly,

9. Ray
    March 6, 2015 at 12:23 pm

This is day 1 for me. I’ve just completed counselling for trauma and Elisha Goldstein was recommended as part of a reading list to focus on self compassion. My prosocial intention is to be more compassionate to myself and others. At work today, I completed deliberate random acts of kindness towards the children I teach. at home I was consciously more present. I aim to create a better world for my son to grow up in.

March 6, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Wonderful Ray, welcome! If you’re willing, what did you notice in doing this today? In others and yourself?

10. Donna
    March 6, 2015 at 8:52 am

My prosocial purpose is to increase respect for others by watching my thoughts of judgement and using “thoughts are not facts practice”. Yesterday at the end of the day I got caught in a conversation with a coworker who easily triggers my annoyance button. Because I’ve committed to having respect for others I tried to stay with the conversation in a respectful way however I was pressed for time and really felt myself getting tense and edgy and lots of negative thoughts about what she was saying, blah,balh,blah. I’ve been reading about non violent communication and the concept that behind my every judgement is an unmet need. Today I reflected and realized it would have been more respectful for me to say something like this, “You sure do come up with some interesting ideas and different ways of seeing things. This isn’t a good time for me to get involved in this conversation because I’ve got some tasks that I need to complete before I leave today. Lets table this for another time when I can really focus and give consideration to this.” I’m thinking there will be another occasion to put this into practice.

Elisha, Thanks for all you do. You’ve certainly have inspired me to put mindfulness into practice on a daily basis.

March 6, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Yes!!! What a great learning.

Post a Reply to Tracy B