1. Julie Croteau
    November 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Reflect:

What would the days ahead be like if you were living in line with your values in this life?
    If I were living in line with my values in life I would feel more connected with other people. I would spread kindness and love. I would not operate out of fear, but from love and plenty. I would feel secure enough to volunteer my time and donate my money.
    Right Now Remind Yourself of These Three Questions:

What prosocial purpose am I focusing on?
    Compassion and suspension of judgement

What action can I take today that is in line with this purpose?
    I will take the stairs, I will bring a healthy treat for my staff, and I will take my students for a walk.

What is this action in service of that is greater than myself?
    I am a positive role model for others, I will share with my co-workers, and I will share physical movement with my students.

November 17, 2015 at 8:20 am

Beautiful Julie! Thank you for sharing your reflection on how life might be different if you were living in line with your values, your pro-social purpose and actions.

2. Julie Croteau
    November 16, 2015 at 5:21 pm

What prosocial purpose am I focusing on?
    I am focusing on compassion for self and others and suspension of judgement for self and others. I have gained a significant amount of weight in the past few years, and my vocation is helping people improve their health. I have been feeling useless and hypocritical. I am treating myself and my students with compassion, love, and non-judgement.

What action can I take today that is in line with this purpose?
    Today I bought a coffee for our admin assistant and I took the stairs every time all day for me and to role model for my students. I drove with compassion and non judgement remembering that the people in the other cars are my neighbors, and I loaned my car to my roommate so he could drive to work tonight and not have to take the bus.

What is this action in service of that is greater than myself?
    Staying aware of other people, with compassion and non-judgement. Basically focusing outside of myself and keeping other people in my awareness.
    Vague I know, but over the next few weeks I hope to continue find ways to express my love for people. Then spend time writing them down here for the community.

November 17, 2015 at 8:16 am

Thank you for sharing Julie, great work!

3. Julie Croteau
    November 15, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I am focusing on compassion for self and others and suspension of judgement for self and othres. I have gained a significant amount of weight in the past few years, and my vocation is helping people improve their health. I have been feeling useless and hypocritical. I am treating myself and my students with compassion, love, and non-judgement.
    I am going to go for a walk today, while assuring myself people are not judging me, and I am not judging them. Role modeling how to improve the health of people who are obese and depressed like me. Also, sharing love with my neighbors and remembering they are my neighbors and I don’t have to be afraid of them.

November 16, 2015 at 9:45 am

Julie, I think that compassion and suspending judgement for ourselves and others is key. Your experiences and self- compassion can light the way those you are helping. Thank you for sharing.

4. Bernadeta
    November 7, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Day 7 of the 21, so far so good.
    I am practicing loving kindnes and moving meditation, and 21 gratitudes, or more, before i fall asleep and when I wake up, if I fall asleep I forgive myself the next morning and try again.

I know the power of the smile, its an ‘ice breaker’.

I know I will learn and make more mistakes, thats inevitable, but I am changing my attitude to how to react to it.
    I am grateful to all my Spiritual Teachers and to Life.

I want to share in the future what I have learned, Im a dancer, Im afraid of my own power but what is there to stop me? I was stopping myself for too long so I let myself blossoming now.
    No rush.

November 9, 2015 at 9:34 am

Bernadeta, sounds wonderful. Awareness can be so empowering!

5. nadine
    November 4, 2015 at 1:23 pm

hello Elisha, first i would just like to say thank you very much to Elisha for creating this amazing program and to everyone on here in this community as navigating thru life’s peaks and valleys is challenging on ones own, it takes a village sometimes to do the hard work. The past 4 years have been worst of my life with job loss, moving several times, family deaths, personal trauma, car accidents, surgeries, relationship breakup, chronic pain and mental health issues. I came very close to ending my life just over a year ago but something deep inside told me there is still hope and some purpose to all of this adversity which are my life lessons bringing me closer to myself, my true calling and to God. I was brought to you Elisha and to this community as part of my journey thanks to my Naturopath. How I have chosen to define my purpose and not allow these roadblocks define me any longer is through various processes. I have just completed reading the book called ‘the power of TED’. great book on the victim dynamic and trying to shift from being a victim to a creator. I am trying to create new more positive outcomes like when life gives u lemons, add some sugar and make lemonade. I am taking baby steps in my own recovery and healing. I have joined a book club thru local library studying the book ‘the secret’, how to create and manifest abundance thru quantum physics or the law of attraction, focussing on what i do want, not what i don’t want. I recently attended a women’s horse therapy group where we worked closely with horses to become more empowered and gain more inner wisdom and self love as taught by the horses, and studed work of Byron katie. In my book study, i share my own personal experiences with the group and they say it really helps them. I have joined a novel writing group at library as well where i will write a book about personal experiences that can help others. I have wanted to do this for years. Knowing how important laughter is in everyday life and esp during difficult times, I recently became a laughter yoga instructor and am looking at ways to teach laughter yoga with the world by holding classes. after nearly 20 years of procrastinating I am also going to be obtaining my Masters level in Reiki Energy healing so I can help others to heal holistically. I have been told by psychics and others and my spirit guides that this is my calling as my ancestors were healers. so these are a few of my goals and im trying not to overwhelm myself and just do baby steps but all the knowledge i receive and resources i try to pay it forward and share with friends and family when i can. this is so gratifying giving me great pleasure and sense of purpose. i used to work in a field where i was helping people in a different way and i loved my career, no longer able to do that anymore in that capacity, so im choosing to find a new path where i am still of service using compassion and purpose and passion in my life.

November 5, 2015 at 11:55 am

Nadine, thank you so much for joining us and sharing part of your journey and experiences. We are happy to have you here with us.

• Rigmor
      November 7, 2015 at 12:15 am

I am amazed to read your story, Nadine. You have really found your inner power. It is so inspiring to read about the changes in your life! I wish you good luck with all your projects! I have never heard about laughter yoga. That sounds fun. I will check to see if I can find a course in my surroundings or guidance on the Web.

• Kristen
      November 12, 2015 at 10:19 am

I’m so inspired by your journey and resilience, Nadine! I, too, have had the most challenging past 4 years with the death of my mother, two major surgeries, a struggle with PTSD symptoms and major depression, anxiety, loss of job and termination of disability benefits…. But I refuse to be a victim. I am a survivor and through mindfulness and self-compassion, I am getting my life back. Thank you, Elisha, and thank you for sharing your story, Nadine!

6. November 3, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Just starting the 21 days of Purpose. Not quite sure what it is about really, but I’m keeping a curious and open heart :-). I live in Cambodia and I’m a volunteer working for 2 NGOs. So I have no problem with being compassionate and kind to others, it’s far more difficult when it comes to being kind to myself :-). So not quite sure what I am suppose to do …

November 4, 2015 at 8:21 am

Welcome Bernadette, thank you for joining us and glad you’re keeping a curious and open heart! By working on pro-social purposes, like your volunteering, we welcome more compassion into our lives. It’s an on-going practice to also ensure our compassion includes ourselves.

7. Mazy
    November 3, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I begin each morning slowly and quietly. I am usually alone in the morning and savour the peace it brings and recall the times, when as a young working mother, my mornings were anything but peaceful. After I’m fully awake, I meditate for 15-20 minutes. A great website called Insight Timer offers many guided meditations of various lengths and each have a different focus that provide options depending on what my needs are that day. Sometimes I just meditate in silence, sending loving kindness to friends and family, especially those who are going through difficult periods. I get up early enough to watch the transformation of the morning sky which is sometimes amazingly beautiful. Then, with an hour left I snap out of that soothing start to my day and rush like hell to get to a stressful job on time. Reality bites.

November 4, 2015 at 8:17 am

Mazy, thank you for sharing your morning practice and the mindful way you start your day. Mediation and the sunrise is a wonderful combination. Glad to hear you’re enjoying Insight Timer too.

8. Johanne
    November 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I committ to be kind to myself and to develop compassion for myself which ripple to others. I am mindful to smile at people and have an open mind.

• Johanne
      November 4, 2015 at 12:18 am

Not so much an open mind but more of an open heart!

November 4, 2015 at 8:15 am

Beautiful, Johanne!

9. PK
    November 2, 2015 at 7:44 am

I begin each day by remembering to be thankful to God for my life, what I have in my life. I then mentally prepare for what lies ahead during the day. Some days when a worry or stress about my kids or life is eating away at me, I find it difficult to remember to do this.

November 2, 2015 at 8:49 am

PK, nice way to start the day. When we’re worried or stressed it can be difficult to remember, but those are times when we can really benefit from some morning gratitude.

10. Anne
    November 2, 2015 at 6:50 am

As I am struggling with chronic Lyme disease, and not able to do the trauma work that gave me such purpose, it has become very difgicult to find purpose in my life.
    So I am starting with self-compassion.
    Working at being gentle with myself each day as I try to be the best I can be and focusing on what I can rather than what I can’t…
    Then I commit to connecting with others and being grateful for the friendship and help I receive.
    I smile and sy hello to others I meet on my short walks and connect by email with another lady suffering badly .
    I am also writing poetry as a way of making sense of my new reality and send it out to my friends and family as a way of connecting

November 2, 2015 at 8:51 am

Anne, I’m glad to hear you’ve been cultivating self-compassion and connection during a difficult time. Sending well wishes your way.

Post a Reply to Cynthia