1. October 28, 2015 at 12:55 pm

My first mindful morning moment is gently stroking the soft fur of my 12 year old pup. It has become our ritual. I sit on the couch and he sits next to me. He’s been having daily seizures the past several months, despite three anti seizure medications. This is a time to truly enjoy his company and loyal companionship despite his medical challenge.

October 28, 2015 at 4:50 pm

That’s a beautiful morning ritual to share with your dog!

2. Debbie Cook
    October 28, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Concerning morning mindfulness:
    Like some earlier commenters, I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis & move slow first thing while taking care of our 2 indoor cats. One cat has feline HIV so I fix her some L-lysine and coax her to drink it by dropping a couple of treats in the bowl. While eating my breakfast, I usually have both cats in the chair with me and I pet them until I finish eating. That’s when it gets more mindful and I take extra time to give them my full attention by giving them each a good combing. It takes a little longer now they have some fleas but they probably appreciate it even more. Then I take a shower and head to work. I first review all of my email. Before starting on my work projects, I spend about 4 – 5 minutes on mindful meditation and do the same later in the afternoon.

October 28, 2015 at 4:51 pm

It’s so nice how you’ve infused mindfulness into your morning and sprinkled it throughout your day,

3. Barb
    October 28, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I try to move through my morning routines (Showering, dressing, preparing & eating breakfast) mindfully. Although this requires more time, I find it helps me feel more centered, grounded & present throughout the entire day. I also start my day by reading Elisha’s Mindful Moment email & my minister’s daily “Just for Today Practice” emails. They help me to set a clear intention for the day.

October 28, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I’m glad to hear mindful mornings and the Daily Now Moments help you feel grounded, centered and present for your day,

4. Robbi
    October 28, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I find it only takes a moment to be present. I take moments throughout the day to come back to presence. A minute here and a minute there. I just stop and remind myself to awaken to the joy that is right there ….the fact that I can see or walk or just breathe-I find that gratitude transforms me. James Baraz also talks about this in “Awakening Joy” . So it seems that uncovering happiness is about noticing and appreciating what is already present.

October 28, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Robbi, love it how you find the mindful moments and can connect to the joy!

5. Jane Brekken
    October 28, 2015 at 12:13 pm

First thing in the morning I read a daily mediation (or two) and spend time quietly listening, breathing and being with myself. When I am lucky, this practice is shared with my husband and we start our day with a thought or action that inspires us to greet each day with purpose and positive energy! I am learning of and practicing various kinds of meditative practices, and LOVE them all!

October 28, 2015 at 5:05 pm

What a nice way to start your day, along with being open to experiencing different practices too!

6. Jean Beaini
    October 28, 2015 at 11:40 am

My favourite way to start each day is to treat myself kindly. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so getting started can be a slow process. I begin with a few simple yoga stretches and a short mindfulness meditation before getting dressed. I do short mindfulness meditations throughout the day to keep myself focused and for pain management. Treating myself with gratitude, kindness and compassion helps me to treat others in the same way. I have been following Melli’s 31 day free Mindfulness Summit which has been a wonderful learning experience.

• Analee, Brazil
      October 28, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Your meditation routine sounds really good, Jean! Short bursts of mindfulness throughout the day and a kind and compassionate attitude towards yourself seems like just the ticket. I am also enjoying the Mindfulness Summit – what a joy it’s been! Best wishes!

October 28, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Jean thanks so much for sharing. That sounds like a mindful way to start the day and keep the mindfulness practice on-going.

7. Dea
    October 28, 2015 at 11:28 am

I agree with other posts, that it can be difficult to find energy for prosocial endeavors when I feel quite drained in my day to day life. Perhaps my prosocial work right now is getting to a place of healthy energy so that I can share with others in greater ways. I meditate daily, and lately I have added an intention of wellbeing for others to my repetoire. Step by step, right?
    Elisha, thank you for creating this space for a mindful and loving community! I am very grateful for your prosocial contribution here.

October 28, 2015 at 11:59 am

Thank you for being a part of it Dea!

8. charemon hallahan
    October 28, 2015 at 11:26 am

today:
    being present in the moment while taking care of the 4 dogs I am responsible for. Loving them
    taking care of a severely disabled young woman with love and silent prayer. Loving her and her family.
    being grateful for the many blessings I have – particularly my physical abilities – in comparison to the elderly and the disabled I interact with on this day.
    crunching the fall leaves like when I was a kid. having a sense of wonder at the world. realizing how complex and different dogs are from us and how wonderful they are.

October 28, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Gratitude, love and appreciation for the world around us, all beautiful!

9. Andrea Bell
    October 28, 2015 at 11:09 am

This is a comment on my favorite morning mindfulness practice. My house is the hub of my day as I work at home and am the chief operations expert for our family. So I like to step outside the house to clear my mind of what’s to come for the day. I sit on my front steps and just breathe the air. I look at the sky and at these very tall trees next door and just be for a few minutes. It makes me realize just how many moments in my busy life I am doing vs. being.

October 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm

What a wonderful gift to yourself each morning.

10. dlg0927
    October 28, 2015 at 11:07 am

My first morning activity is to care for my 3 cats. I clean their litter, feed them and then have a morning cuddle. This cuddle time is mindful because I focus on the pleasure and serenity that being surrounded by purring felines brings to my life. I don’t dwell on the vacuuming and hair removal that is also a daily reality of having cats. Ten minutes of kitty cuddling sets me up to mindfully and gratefully accept whatever the rest of day brings and to approach the world with loving kindness.

October 28, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Hooray for the power of kitty cuddles!