1. Sam Gentile
    May 4, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Day 11 and I am going to take the theme of the days email and use Connection. For my action I am going to call my brother Mark who I haven’t talked to in years and there has been tension between us. I am going to see how he is doing after moving to North Carolina today. In Service of both of us plus my value of strong family

May 4, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Wishing you well in the connecting with your brother and your pro-social purpose.

2. Susan M
    May 4, 2015 at 6:40 am

At day 7, which is a Monday public holiday in the UK, I’ve been able to enjoy some quite time reflecting on how I steer towards purpose in the minutiae of every day decisions. I want to make more impact on my distractibility in the small moments of my life. I will spend time with friends this evening and am back to work tomorrow, and am aiming to focus more mindfully on being prosocial in my engagement with those who are part of my daily life.

May 4, 2015 at 8:05 am

It’s those small moments that make up our lifetime and bringing mindfulness to them can be very empowering.

3. Sam Gentile
    May 3, 2015 at 11:02 am

Day 10 and I used the theme of kindness from the reminder. So my prosocial behavior was kindnesses and the action was to be kind to my wife all day. I know it’s materialistic but I got up from my depressed self and went and bought her a new kitchen table and then brought her to lunch. I was kind to her instead of the usual fighting. Service was for my wife to extend kindness and for my intentions of a strong family.

May 4, 2015 at 8:02 am

It certainly sounds like kindness motivated your Sunday, both in actions to your wife and the positives effects spreading to your family.

4. Sam Gentile
    May 2, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Day 9 and the email reminds of Kindness which I exhibited today but my main prosocial behavior was Play which is also a natural antidepressant. I took Heather my 12 year old to the park and played. First we ran a 1/2 mile loop together and then played on the equipment. I also took her to have Sushi. The service was for my daughter and also in service of my other Value, Strong Family.

One thing I want to ask you about is that I get real uptight when it comes to leave for play. My daughter takes a while to get ready and I just want to go and get all nervous. It’s almost that I want to get it over with log in my journal and here. What do you think?

May 4, 2015 at 7:55 am

Sounds like a great Saturday with your daughter! About feeling uptight before play – what do you think is causing it? Do you need to give yourself permission to play or do you think it’s more anxiety building while you’re waiting?

5. Susan M
    April 30, 2015 at 1:59 pm

This is day 3 for me. I work in health and social care and have a strong orientation towards prosocial purpose. But in my daily hurly burly I’m pulled off course sometimes. Shame can inhibit me from reflecting with curiosity about how it was that I was distracted away from purpose. An example from this week – I gossiped in a disrespectful way about some colleagues. Momentarily I felt bonded with the person I was gossiping with. But overall my actions were not motivated by compassion and understanding. Imagining what it would be like if I was living a life that was more orientated to my values, I am aiming to pay closer attention when I go off course and try to discern how I help myself to steer a steadier course.

April 30, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Welcome Susan, that awareness is the first step toward moving toward living and speaking in alignment with your values. Like much deep personal work, it is an on-going practice.

6. Sam Gentile
    April 30, 2015 at 11:14 am

Day 7 and today’s prosocial behavior is Compassion and Strong Family. The action is not react when my wife says something irritating. This in service of our family to stop the arguing

April 30, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Mindfulness indeed.

7. Sam Gentile
    April 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Day 6 and my prosocial behavior as identified in Step 5 is Mindfulness
    Actions
    1. Did Mindful Check ins during the day
    2. Did 30 minute Mindful Meditation
    Service – its obviously in service of myself and my depression program but also my family to be calmer and more compassionate

8. Sam Gentile
    April 28, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Prosocial behavior today is Compassion again. The action I took today is to post one more Facebook post for getting help to Nepal. This is in service of all the people suffering in Nepal.

9. Sam Gentile
    April 27, 2015 at 10:00 am

Day 4 and I am also working on my purpose of my relationship to my family and Strong Family.
    So today’s prosocial behavior is Strong Family
    Action iss to help my daughter with her homework without getting mad. I usually want to keep reading Buddhist books and not get interrupted.
    Service of Heather so she may feel good and family dynamics

April 28, 2015 at 9:02 am

That sounds like a positive action toward today’s pro-social purpose.

10. Sam Gentile
    April 26, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Day 3 and I am focusing on the prosocial behavior of Compassion and Altruism
    Action
    1. Have compassion and Meta for the victims of the earthquake in Nepal
    2. Raise awareness for people to contribute relief money by posting to my Facebook account
    3. Made generous donation via GlobalGiving.org
    Action in service of others who have been affected by this tragedy

April 27, 2015 at 8:16 am

I think many of us are deeply feeling the catastrophic impact of the earthquake in Nepal, it sounds like you have been making some very compassionate efforts on behalf of the people of Nepal. Thank you.